The Villard Mansion was constructed in 1884, designed by the architecture firm McKim, Mead & White three years after they started their company. The houses were commissioned by Henry Villard, then president of the Northern Pacific Railway, shortly before his railroad empire began to crumble. Ownership of the building changed through many hands throughout the century.
In 1968, the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the complex a historical landmark. Restoration and construction for a new hotel complex was proposed by real estate developer Harry B. Helmsley who constructed the 51-story New York Palace Hotel tower directly behind the original building. The project was designed by architects Emery Roth & Sons and Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer in 1977 and completed in 1980.
The original building was restored in 2003 and office space was furnished for city preservation group The Municipal Art Society, as part of an agreement to save the building from demolition.
Today, The Mansion on Madison has undergone a restoration of the exteriors including the facade, roof, and windows and has been brought back to its original splendor. In addition, a full mechanical and electrical upgrade to the interior space has brought this historic icon into the 21st century.
The Mansion has been restored concurrently with the renovation of the adjacent New York Palace, a 900-room luxury hotel that features New York City’s most luxurious rooms & suites. The hotel will also feature five restaurants and bars, including a new restaurant by world-renowned chef Michel Richard.
With a magnificent courtyard, The Mansion on Madison is ideal for private events in one of the only outdoor courtyard spaces in Manhattan. The property has more than 200 feet of wrap-around frontage, a grand staircase, multiple firepalces, and high ceilings with elegant moldings.